1. Welcome to StartUp Borneo!
We may change these terms from time to time. If we do, we’ll let you know about any material changes, either by notifying you on the Site or by sending you an email. New versions of the terms will never apply retroactively — we’ll tell you the exact date they go into effect. If you keep using StartUp Borneo after a change, that means you accept the new terms.
StartUp Borneo is for your personal, non-commercial use, except as explained in section 4 and section 5 below.
2. About Creating an Account.
To sign up for a StartUp Borneo account, you need to be 18 or over. You’re responsible for your account and all the activity on it.
You can browse StartUp Borneo without registering for an account. But to use some of StartUp Borneo’s functions, you’ll need to register, choose a username, and set a password. When you do that, the information you give us has to be accurate and complete. Don’t impersonate anyone else or choose names that are offensive or that violate anyone’s rights. If you don’t follow these rules, we may cancel your account.
You’re responsible for all the activity on your account, and for keeping your password confidential. If you find out that someone’s used your account without your permission, you should report it to email@example.com.
To sign up for an account, you need to be at least 18 years old, or old enough to form a binding contract where you live. If necessary, we may ask you for proof of age.
3. Things You Definitely Shouldn’t Do.
This section is a list of things you probably already know you shouldn’t do — lie, break laws, abuse people, steal data, hack other people’s computers, and so on. Please behave yourself. Don’t do this stuff.
Many people use StartUp Borneo. We expect all of them to behave responsibly and help keep this a nice place. Don’t do any of these things on the Site:
· Don’t break the law. Don’t take any action that infringes or violates other people’s rights, violates the law, or breaches any contract or legal duty you have toward anyone.
· Don’t lie to people. Don’t post information you know is false, misleading, or inaccurate. Don’t do anything deceptive or fraudulent.
· Don’t offer prohibited items. Don’t offer any rewards that are illegal, violate any of StartUp Borneo’s policies, rules, or guidelines, or violate any applicable law, statute, ordinance, or regulation.
· Don’t victimize anyone. Don’t do anything threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, tortious, obscene, profane, or invasive of another person’s privacy.
· Don’t spam. Don’t distribute unsolicited or unauthorized advertising or promotional material, or any junk mail, spam, or chain letters. Don’t run mail lists, listservs, or any kind of auto-responder or spam on or through the Site.
· Don’t harm anyone’s computer. Don’t distribute software viruses, or anything else (code, films, programs) designed to interfere with the proper function of any software, hardware, or equipment on the Site (whether it belongs to StartUp Borneo or another party).
· Don’t abuse other users’ personal information. When you use StartUp Borneo — and especially if you create a successful project — you may receive information about other users, including things like their names, email addresses, and postal addresses. This information is provided for the purpose of participating in a StartUp Borneo project: don’t use it for other purposes, and don’t abuse it.
We also need to make sure that the Site is secure and our systems function properly. So don’t do any of these things — most of which boil down to “don’t mess with our system.”
· Don’t try to interfere with the proper workings of the Services.
· Don’t bypass any measures we’ve put in place to secure the Services.
· Don’t try to damage or get unauthorized access to any system, data, password, or other information, whether it belongs to StartUp Borneo or another party.
· Don’t take any action that imposes an unreasonable load on our infrastructure, or on our third-party providers. (We reserve the right to determine what’s reasonable.)
· Don’t use any kind of software or device (whether it’s manual or automated) to “crawl” or “spider” any part of the Site.
· Don’t take apart or reverse engineer any aspect of StartUp Borneo in an effort to access things like source code, underlying ideas, or algorithms.
4. How Projects Work.
StartUp Borneo provides a funding platform for potential and innovative projects. When a creator posts a project on StartUp Borneo, they’re inviting other people to form a contract with them. Anyone who backs a project is accepting the creator’s offer, and forming that contract.
StartUp Borneo is not a part of this contract — the contract is a direct legal agreement between creators and their backers. Here are the terms that govern that agreement:
When a project is successfully funded, the creator must complete the project and fulfill each reward. Once a creator has done so, they’ve satisfied their obligation to their backers.
Throughout the process, creators owe their backers a high standard of effort, honest communication, and a dedication to bringing the project to life. At the same time, backers must understand that when they back a project, they’re helping to create something new — not ordering something that already exists. There may be changes or delays, and there’s a chance something could happen that prevents the creator from being able to finish the project as promised.
If a creator is unable to complete their project and fulfill rewards, they’ve failed to live up to the basic obligations of this agreement. To right this, they must make every reasonable effort to find another way of bringing the project to the best possible conclusion for backers. A creator in this position has only remedied the situation and met their obligations to backers if:
· they post an update that explains what work has been done, how funds were used, and what prevents them from finishing the project as planned;
· they work diligently and in good faith to bring the project to the best possible conclusion in a timeframe that’s communicated to backers;
· they’re able to demonstrate that they’ve used funds appropriately and made every reasonable effort to complete the project as promised;
· they’ve been honest, and have made no material misrepresentations in their communication to backers; and
· they offer to return any remaining funds to backers who have not received their reward (in proportion to the amounts pledged), or else explain how those funds will be used to complete the project in some alternate form.
The creator is solely responsible for fulfilling the promises made in their project. If they’re unable to satisfy the terms of this agreement, they may be subject to legal action by backers.
5. How Funding Works.
This section goes over the details of backing and creating projects — things like how money gets collected, whether pledges can be changed or canceled, and how creators can contact backers to provide rewards.
These are the terms that apply when you’re backing a project:
· You’re only charged if the project reaches its fundraising goal. You’ll provide your payment information when you pledge, but you won’t be charged. Your payment will only be collected if, at the time of the project’s funding deadline, the project has reached its fundraising goal. The exact amount you pledged is the amount StartUp Borneo will collect. If the campaign hasn’t reached its fundraising goal, you won’t be charged, no funds will be collected, and no money will change hands.
· In some cases we’ll reserve the charge on your card. StartUp Borneo and its payment partners may authorize or reserve a charge on your credit card (or whatever payment method you use) for any amount up to the full pledge, at any time between the pledge and the collection of funds.
· You can change or cancel your pledge at any time before the project’s funding deadline (with one exception). You can increase, decrease, or cancel your pledge at any time during the campaign, with one exception. During the last 24 hours of the campaign, you can’t decrease or cancel your pledge without contacting customer support first — if that action would drop the project below its funding goal. Once the project has been funded, you can only cancel or change your pledge by making special arrangements directly with the creator.
· The Estimated Delivery Date is the creator’s estimate. The date listed on each reward is the creator’s estimate of when they will provide the reward — not a guarantee to fulfill by that date. The schedule may change as the creator works on the project. We ask creators to think carefully, set a date they feel confident they can work toward, and communicate with backers about any changes.
· The creator may need to send you questions about your reward. To deliver rewards, the creator might need information from you, like your mailing address or t-shirt size. They’ll request that information after the campaign has succeeded. To receive the reward, you’ll need to provide the information in a reasonable amount of time. Creators should not ask for personal information that is not necessary to provide your reward, and should never request sensitive personal information such as your Social Security number or payment information. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you receive a request for information that seems inappropriate or excessive.
· StartUp Borneo doesn’t offer refunds. Responsibility for finishing a project lies entirely with the project creator. StartUp Borneo doesn’t hold funds on creators’ behalf, cannot guarantee creators’ work, and does not offer refunds.
These are the terms that apply when you’re creating a project:
· You can refund individual pledges if you want. After your project has been funded, you can cancel and refund a backer’s pledge at any time. If you do, you have no further obligation to that specific backer, and no agreement exists between you.
· We’ll charge our fees before putting funds in your account. StartUp Borneo and its payment partners will subtract fees before transmitting the proceeds of a campaign.
· Some pledges can’t be collected, which might reduce the amount of funding you get. Because some payments can’t be collected — for instance, when a backer’s credit card expires before funding ends, and they don’t provide updated information — we can’t guarantee that the amount of funding you receive will be exactly equal to the full amount pledged minus fees.
· We’ll help resolve payment-card disputes. If a backer of your project disputes the charge with their card issuer, we’ll handle re-presenting the charge to settle the dispute with the card issuer. You’ll be notified that a dispute has been filed, and you’ll be able to provide evidence to help us resolve it in your favor. If the cardholder’s dispute is found valid, you authorize us to charge the credit card number you provided when you started your project for the amount of the chargeback.
· Don’t count your chickens before they hatch. Don’t assume you’ll be able to launch your project when you want; there could be a reason we’re not able to accept it, or a problem that takes time to resolve. Don’t assume you’ll be able to immediately collect your funding; there may be a delay between the end of a successful campaign and your access to the funds. And don’t take any actions in reliance on collecting any of the money pledged until you actually have the ability to withdraw it from your account and spend it.
6. Stuff We Don’t Do and Aren’t Responsible For.
We don’t oversee projects’ performance, and we don’t mediate disputes between users.
StartUp Borneo isn’t liable for any damages or losses related to your use of the Services. We don’t become involved in disputes between users, or between users and any third party relating to the use of the Services. We don’t oversee the performance or punctuality of projects, and we don’t endorse any content users submit to the Site. When you use the Services, you release StartUp Borneo from claims, damages, and demands of every kind — known or unknown, suspected or unsuspected, disclosed or undisclosed — arising out of or in any way related to such disputes and the Services. All content you access through the Services is at your own risk. You’re solely responsible for any resulting damage or loss to any party.
7. Our Fees.
Fees are only charged on successfully funded projects. We charge 5%, in addition to any fees from our payments partners.
Creating an account on StartUp Borneo is free. If you create a project that is successfully funded, we (and our payment partners) collect fees. Our partners’ fees may vary slightly based on your location.
We will not collect any fees without giving you a chance to review and accept them. If our fees ever change, we’ll announce that on our Site. Some funds pledged by backers are collected by payment providers. Each payment provider is its own company, and StartUp Borneo isn’t responsible for its performance.
You’re responsible for paying any additional fees or taxes associated with your use of StartUp Borneo.
8. Other Websites.
If you follow a link to another website, what happens there is between you and them — not us.
StartUp Borneo may contain links to other websites. (For instance, project pages, user profiles, and comments may link to other sites.) When you access third-party websites, you do so at your own risk. We don’t control or endorse those sites.
StartUp Borneo partners with other companies (such as PayPal) for payment processing. When you back or create a project, you’re also agreeing to the payment processor’s terms of service.
9. Your Intellectual Property.
We don’t own the stuff you post on StartUp Borneo. But when you post it, you’re giving us permission to use or copy it however we need in order to run the site, or show people what’s happening on it. (We generally just use this to promote projects and showcase our community on the website.) You’re responsible for the content you post, and you’re vouching to us that it’s all okay to use.
StartUp Borneo doesn’t own content you submit to us (your “Content”). But we do need certain licenses from you in order to perform our Services. When you submit a project for review, or launch a project, you agree to these terms:
· We can use the content you’ve submitted. You grant to us, and others acting on our behalf, the worldwide, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicensable, transferable right to use, exercise, commercialize, and exploit the copyright, publicity, trademark, and database rights with respect to your Content.
· When we use the content, we can make changes, like editing or translating it. You grant us the right to edit, modify, reformat, excerpt, delete, or translate any of your Content.
· You won’t submit stuff you don’t hold the copyright for (unless you have permission). Your Content will not contain third-party copyrighted material, or material that is subject to other third-party proprietary rights, unless you have permission from the rightful owner of the material, or you are otherwise legally entitled to post the material (and to grant StartUp Borneo all the license rights outlined here).
· Any royalties or licensing on your Content are your responsibility. You will pay all royalties and other amounts owed to any person or entity based on your Content, or on StartUp Borneo’s hosting of that Content.
· You promise that if we use your Content, we’re not violating anyone’s rights or copyrights. If StartUp Borneo or its users exploit or make use of your submission in the ways contemplated in this agreement, you promise that this will not infringe or violate the rights of any third party, including (without limitation) any privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights, or any other intellectual property or proprietary rights.
· You’re responsible for the stuff you post. All information submitted to the Site, whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, is the sole responsibility of the person from whom that content originated.
· We’re not responsible for mistakes in your content. StartUp Borneo will not be liable for any errors or omissions in any content.
10. StartUp Borneo’s Intellectual Property.
The content on StartUp Borneo is protected in various ways. You do have the right to use it for certain personal purposes, but you can’t use it for anything commercial without getting permission first.
StartUp Borneo’s Services are legally protected in various ways, including copyrights, trademarks, service marks, patents, trade secrets, and other rights and laws. You agree to respect all copyright and other legal notices, information, and restrictions contained in any content accessed through the Site. You also agree not to change, translate, or otherwise create derivative works of the Service.
StartUp Borneo grants you a license to reproduce content from the Services for personal use only. This license covers both StartUp Borneo’s own protected content and user-generated content on the Site. (This license is worldwide, non-exclusive, non-sublicensable, and non-transferable.) If you want to use, reproduce, modify, distribute, or store any of this content for a commercial purpose, you need prior written permission from StartUp Borneo or the relevant copyright holder. A “commercial purpose” means you intend to use, sell, license, rent, or otherwise exploit content for commercial use, in any way.
11. Deleting Your Account.
You can delete your account at any time. Deleting your account won’t automatically make some content you’ve already posted go away.
You can terminate your account at any time through your account settings. We may retain certain information as required by law or as necessary for our legitimate business purposes. All provisions of this agreement survive termination of an account, including our rights regarding any content you’ve already submitted to the Site. (For instance, if you’ve launched a project, deleting your account will not automatically remove the project from the Site.) You can contact us at email@example.com for additional information or to request project page deletion (this is not available in all circumstances).
12. Our Rights.
To operate, we need to be able to maintain control over what happens on our website. So in this section, we reserve the right to make decisions to protect the health and integrity of our system. We don’t take these powers lightly, and we only use them when we absolutely have to.
StartUp Borneo reserves these rights:
· We can make changes to the StartUp Borneo Site and Services without notice or liability.
· We have the right to decide who’s eligible to use StartUp Borneo. We can cancel accounts or decline to offer our Services. (Especially if you’re abusing them.) We can change our eligibility criteria at any time. If these things are prohibited by law where you live, then we revoke your right to use StartUp Borneo in that jurisdiction.
· We have the right to cancel any pledge to any project, at any time and for any reason.
· We have the right to reject, cancel, interrupt, remove, or suspend any project at any time and for any reason.
StartUp Borneo is not liable for any damages as a result of any of these actions, and it is our policy not to comment on the reasons for any such action.
13. Warranty Disclaimer.
We work hard to provide you with great services, but we can’t guarantee everything will always work perfectly. This site is presented as-is, without warranties.
You use our Services solely at your own risk. They are provided to you “as is” and “as available” and without warranty of any kind, express or implied.
STARTUP BORNEO SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND ANY WARRANTIES IMPLIED BY ANY COURSE OF DEALING, COURSE OF PERFORMANCE, OR USAGE OF TRADE. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION (ORAL OR WRITTEN) OBTAINED BY YOU FROM STARTUP BORNEO SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY.
If you do something on StartUp Borneo that winds up getting us sued, you have to help defend us.
If you do something that gets us sued, or break any of the promises you make in this agreement, you agree to defend, indemnify, and hold us harmless from all liabilities, claims, and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees and other legal costs) that arise from or relate to your use or misuse of StartUp Borneo. We reserve the right to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to this indemnification clause, in which case you agree that you’ll cooperate and help us in asserting any defenses.
15. Limitation of Liability.
If something bad happens as a result of your using StartUp Borneo, we’re not liable (beyond a small amount).
To the fullest extent permitted by law, in no event will StartUp Borneo, its directors, employees, partners, suppliers, or content providers be liable for any indirect, incidental, punitive, consequential, special, or exemplary damages of any kind, including but not limited to damages (i) resulting from your access to, use of, or inability to access or use the Services; (ii) for any lost profits, data loss, or cost of procurement or substitute goods or services; or (iii) for any conduct of content of any third party on the Site. In no event shall StartUp Borneo’s liability for direct damages be in excess of (in the aggregate) one hundred Ringgit Malaysia (RM100.00).
16. Dispute Resolution and Governing Law.
We’re located in Kuching, and any disputes with us have to be handled in Kuching under Sarawak State law.
We at StartUp Borneo encourage you to contact us if you’re having an issue, before resorting to the courts. In the unfortunate situation where legal action does arise, these Terms (and all other rules, policies, or guidelines incorporated by reference) will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Sarawak and Malaysia, without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of law, and without application of the Uniform Computer Information Transaction Act or the United Nations Convention of Controls for International Sale of Goods. You agree that StartUp Borneo and its Services are deemed a passive website that does not give rise to jurisdiction over StartUp Borneo or its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, assigns, employees, agents, directors, officers, or shareholders, either specific or general, in any jurisdiction other than the State of Sarawak. You agree that any action at law or in equity arising out of or relating to these Terms, or your use or non-use of StartUp Borneo, shall be filed only in the state or federal courts located in Kuching in the State of Sarawak, and you hereby consent and submit to the personal jurisdiction of these courts for the purposes of litigating any such action. You hereby irrevocably waive any right you may have to trial by jury in any dispute, action, or proceeding.
17. The Rest.
These are our official terms and our rules for how things work. (So if you ever see confusing or conflicting information about any of this stuff, just check these terms — they’re the last word.) Thanks so much for reading them, and for using StartUp Borneo!
These Terms and the other material referenced in them are the entire agreement between you and StartUp Borneo with respect to the Services. They supersede all other communications and proposals (whether oral, written, or electronic) between you and StartUp Borneo with respect to the Services and govern our future relationship. If any provision of these Terms is found to be invalid under the law, that provision will be limited or eliminated to the minimum extent necessary so that the Terms otherwise will remain in full force and effect and enforceable. The failure of either you or StartUp Borneo to exercise any right provided for in these Terms in any way won’t be deemed a waiver of any other rights.
These Terms are personal to you. You can’t assign them, transfer them, or sublicense them unless you get StartUp Borneo’s prior written consent. StartUp Borneo has the right to assign, transfer, or delegate any of its rights and obligations under these Terms without your consent. StartUp Borneo will provide you notice via email, written notice, or by conspicuously posting the notice on our Site.
- We’ve updated the Policy to reflect changes in data privacy laws.
- We’ve added details about your ability to manage the information you share with us, and the new tools we’ve created to help you do that.
This updated Policy gives you more control over your information and more clearly explains how we use it. Our core commitments regarding your privacy haven’t changed, including the commitment in our Charter to never sell your data.
Changes to This Policy
We may update this Policy from time to time. If we do, we’ll let you know about any material changes, either by notifying you on the Site or by sending you an email. New versions of this Policy will never apply retroactively — we’ll tell you the exact date they go into effect. If you keep using StartUp Borneo after a change, that means you accept this Policy.
Who We Are
StartUp Borneo (together with RESONICS Global Sdn Bhd, RESONICS Consultancy, and its and their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, representatives, consultants, employees, officers, and directors — collectively, “StartUp Borneo,” “we,” or “us”) provides services that help people bring innovative startups together and creative projects to life. Our main service is a community platform for startups and as a lunchpad offering funding opportunity for innovative and creative projects. We are a Community Driven Organization based in Kuching, Sarawak.
How This Policy Applies
What We Collect and Receive
In order for you to create an account on StartUp Borneo and use our Services, we need to collect and process certain information. Depending on your use of the Services, that may include:
- Information you provide by completing forms on StartUp Borneo — your name, email and postal addresses, telephone number, country of residence, login, and password details. We may ask for this information if you register as a user of the Services, subscribe to our newsletters, upload or submit content through StartUp Borneo, or if you contact us;
- Information you provide for identity verification purposes when launching a startup business/project, including your legal name, business name and Tax ID for business entities, and date of birth. In some cases, our payment processor will request that you provide a secure upload of an identity document (such as your passport, drivers license or other government-issued ID) to StartUp Borneo;
- Details of any requests or transactions you make through the Services. StartUp Borneo partners with other companies (such as PayPal) for payment processing, and the payment information you submit is collected and used by them in accordance with their privacy policies (for PayPal’s, click here). StartUp Borneo doesn’t store your payment information apart from the last four digits of your credit card or bank account (as applicable), expiration date, and country, which we require for tax, government regulatory, and security purposes;
- Information about your activity on and interaction with StartUp Borneo, including use of our mobile apps (such as your IP address, the type of device or browser you use, and your actions on the Site);
- Communications you send to us (for example, when you ask for support, send us questions or comments, or report a problem);
- Information that you submit on or to StartUp Borneo in the form of comments, contributions to discussions, or messages to other users; and
- The email address associated with your Facebook account, if you choose to sign up using your Facebook credentials. StartUp Borneo will also request permission to access your name, profile picture, and friend list (these permissions are governed by Facebook’s privacy policies and can be managed through your Facebook privacy settings). We never post anything to your Facebook, Twitter, or other third-party accounts without your permission.
You may decline to provide us with your information. However, this will limit your ability to register for an account or use our Services. You may pledge to a project as a guest by providing only an email address. However, to adjust your pledge, save payment details for future pledges, make project comments and take most other actions on our Site, you will need to finish creating an account. You may review, change or remove your information through your account settings.
How We Use This Information
We use the information we collect for the following purposes:
- To keep your account secure and protect our Services (including to verify the identities of creators and prevent fraud and abuse);
- To enable us to provide you with our Services, and to improve and promote our Services;
- To create and administer your account, contact you, and customize your experience on StartUp Borneo (for example, to show you projects that we think may interest you based on your previous use); and
- To track and analyze use of the Services so that we can improve how StartUp Borneo is performing and provide users with the best experience possible.
Users Personal Data
Data protection law requires a “lawful basis” for collecting and retaining personal information. Our lawful bases include:
- Performing the contract we have with you: In certain circumstances, we need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligation to deliver the Services, enable creators to establish and display their projects, and enable backers to find and make pledges to them.
- Legal compliance: Sometimes the law says we need to collect and use your data. For example, tax laws require us to retain records of pledges and payments made through our Services.
- Legitimate interests: This is a technical term in data protection law which essentially means we have a good and fair reason to use your data and we do so in ways which do not hurt your interests and rights. We sometimes require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way that might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and that does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests.
For example, we use identity, device, and location information to prevent fraud and abuse and to keep the Services secure. We may also send you promotional communications about our Services, subject to your right to control whether we do so.
We analyze how users interact with our Site so we can understand better what elements of the design are working well and which are not working so well. This allows us to improve and develop the quality of the online experience we offer all our users.
Transfer of Your Personal Data
Personal data collected by us will be kept confidential but we may provide such information to third parties when required to do so by applicable law, including but not limited to, a court order or enforcement agency. We may also transfer your personal data to the following third parties where such transfer or disclosure is necessary to satisfy any of the purposes set out above or a directly related purpose:
- Our staff;
- Any person or company who is acting for us or on our behalf in respect of the purpose set out above or a directly related purpose;
- Our agents or professional advisers (whether ours or our agents’), including accountants, auditors and lawyers;
- Any financial institutions, credit card issuing companies, payment service providers necessary to support payments in relation to your project or backing;
- External service providers (including but not limited to telecommunication companies, information technology companies) that we engage for the purpose set out above or a directly related purpose; and
- Government and regulatory authorities and law enforcement agencies and other organizations as required or authorized by applicable law.
Transfer of Your Personal Data Outside Malaysia
By using our service, you agree that we may transfer certain personal data to places outside Malaysia in order to carry out the purposes set out above or a directly related purpose
How This Information Is Shared
Information that’s shared publicly
When you create an account, we create a basic profile page for you on StartUp Borneo, containing your username, the date the account was created, and a list of projects you have backed or launched. By default, your profile is private and you can choose to make it public in your account settings. Your username appears with the comments you post and messages you send on StartUp Borneo and, if your profile is set to public, people can click your username to view it. If you make your profile public, others will be able to see the following things:
- The account username you select, and the date the account was created;
- Any information you choose to add to your profile (like a picture, bio, or your location);
- Projects you’ve backed (but not pledge amounts or rewards chosen);
- Projects you’ve created;
- Comments you’ve posted on StartUp Borneo; and
- If you have “Liked” a project update.
If you would like to have a public profile, but don’t want others to see your name or profile image on a project’s Community tab, you may choose an account image or name that is not identifiable (e.g., CatLuvr88). You can modify or delete certain information associated with your account (such as your username, profile image, biography and location) from your account settings, and you can change your privacy settings if you want to make your profile private or adjust the default settings.
Creators are also asked to verify their identities before launching a project. Once this has been done, the creator’s Verified Name will be publicly displayed on their account profile and on any projects they launch.
Information that isn’t shared publicly
The following data will not be publicly displayed or revealed to other users:
- Any payment information you provide;
- Your password details;
- Your IP address;
- Your phone number;
- Your date of birth and other identity verification documentation (for creators);
- Private profile information, in accordance with your preferences; and
- Communications you send to us (for example, when you ask for support, send us questions or comments, or report a problem).
Information that’s shared with trusted third-party services
We may share your information with certain trusted third-party services to help us provide, improve, promote, or protect StartUp Borneo’s Services (like when we partner with payment processors, or use services that help us manage our ads on other sites). When we share data with third-party services that support our delivery of the StartUp Borneo Services, we require that they use your information only for the purposes we’ve authorized, and that they protect your personal information at least to the same standards we do. We may also share information that’s aggregated and anonymized in a way that it doesn’t directly identify you.
Information that’s shared with creators and collaborators
When you back a project, the project’s creator will know your username, the amount you have pledged, and the reward you have selected. Creators never receive backers’ credit card details or other payment information.
If a project you have backed is successfully funded, the creator will receive the email address associated with your StartUp Borneo account. They may also send you a survey requesting information needed to provide your reward. (For instance, they may need your mailing address, or T-shirt size.) Any information you provide in such surveys will be received by the creator.
Creators are required to keep backer information confidential, except as strictly necessary to communicate with backers directly and fulfill rewards. Creators should not ask for personal information that isn’t necessary to provide your reward, and should never request sensitive personal information such as your Social Security number or payment information. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you receive a request for information that seems inappropriate or excessive.
Collaborators are third parties that creators can appoint to help manage their project. These collaborators may be able to access the information available to creators (including backers’ names, email addresses, pledge amounts, reward selections, messages, and survey responses), and are required to treat backers’ personal information with the same care and respect as creators are.
Creators and their collaborators may also receive routine traffic analytics about their project pages.
Information that’s shared to protect StartUp Borneo and comply with the law
We do reserve the right to disclose personal information when we believe that doing so is reasonably necessary to comply with the law or law enforcement, to prevent fraud or abuse, or to protect StartUp Borneo’s legal rights, property, or the safety of StartUp Borneo, its employees, users, or others.
Links to other websites and services
We will retain your information as long as your account is active, as necessary to provide you with the Services or as otherwise set forth in this Policy. We will also retain and use this information as necessary for the purposes set out in this Policy and to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements and protect StartUp Borneo’s legal rights.
We also collect and maintain aggregated, anonymized or pseudonymized information which we may retain indefinitely to protect the safety and security of our Site, improve our Services or comply with legal obligations.
Users residing in certain countries are afforded certain rights regarding their personal information. Except where an exception or exemption applies, these rights include the ability to access, correct, and request deletion of your personal information. While these rights are not applicable globally, all StartUp Borneo users can manage their personal information, as further described below, in their account settings.
You can request a downloadable copy of your personal data from StartUp Borneo from your account settings page. To modify or delete the personal information you’ve provided to us, please log in and update your profile. You may also delete your account from your account settings page. We may retain certain information as required by law or as necessary for our legitimate business purposes.
Email and Mobile Notifications
We want to communicate with you only if you want to hear from us. We try to keep emails to a minimum and give you the ability to opt in to any marketing communications we send.
We will send you email relating to your transactions on StartUp Borneo.
We’ll also send you service-related announcements when it’s necessary to do so.
We take security seriously, and the security of your personal data is important to us. We follow industry-standard practices to protect the data we collect and maintain, including using Transport Layer Security (TLS) to encrypt information as it travels over the internet. No method of transmission over the internet or electronic storage is completely secure, so StartUp Borneo cannot guarantee its absolute security. Your account information is protected by a password, which you should choose carefully and keep secure.
We have a Security Incident Response Team (SIRT) and protocol in place in the event of a data breach. We encourage the responsible disclosure of vulnerabilities of our Services by emailing email@example.com, and we will invite valid disclosures to our bug bounty program.
Data Protection Officer
To contact our Data Protection Officer, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can contact us in writing at:
1st Floor, Parcel 1.1E, Lot 3338,
Block A, The Laksamana Commercial Suites,
93350 Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.
Data Protection Authority
Subject to applicable law, StartUp Borneo is committed to protecting the privacy, confidentiality and security of the personal data which we hold by complying with the requirements of Act 709 Personal Data Protection Act 2010 (Laws of Malaysia) (the “Law”) with respect to the management of personal data.
People under 18 (or the legal age in your jurisdiction) are not permitted to use StartUp Borneo on their own. StartUp Borneo does not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 13 and children under 13 are not permitted to register for an account or use our Services.
If you believe that a child has provided us with personal information, please contact us at email@example.com. If we become aware that a child under age 13 has provided us with personally identifiable information, we’ll delete it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Create Your Startup Project/Business
- What is StartUp Borneo and #Fund4Borneo reward-based crowdfunding?
StartUp Borneo is a community for startups and a launchpad platform that provides funding opportunity through reward-based crowdfunding or #Fund4Borneo. Reward-based crowdfunding is when users choose to support and financially back their preferred and chosen project idea, and in return they will receive a tangible product or service from the owner of such project after it has been materialized. Backers tend to choose the product or service prior to making any financial backing; the price of the reward will be the financial amount that the backer is willing to support the aforementioned project idea.
- What is accepted to join StartUp Borneo and crowdfund at #Fund4Borneo?
- Do I need to register my startup as a business before I can crowdfund?
No, you are not obliged to do so. You may create a crowdfunding project under your personal name or organization.
- Can I startup a business/project from anywhere in the world?
Yes, but it is your responsibility to ensure that your startup meet our requirements and complies with all relevant laws and regulations in Malaysia.
- Can I list my startup business/project on another crowdfunding platform at the same time?
No, you may not list the exact same project on another crowdfunding platform at the same time.
- What should I name my startup business/project?
People should be able to understand what your startup business/project is about from the title. Also, use a snappy tagline to capture potential backers’ attention.
- How much does it cost to create a startup business/project?
You only have to pay a fee if your project reaches its minimum funding target. For projects that reach their minimum funding target, StartUp Borneo charges a 10% service fee on the total amount raised. If you reach the full funding target, StartUp Borneo charges a 5% service fee on the total amount raised. In addition, the payment gateway charges a separate payment processing fee (average 5%) and depending on the origin of the supporting amount, the payment gateway fee may vary. For startups related to international transaction such as Indonesian Rp or Singaporean $, please visit PayPal’s fee page at https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/country-worldwide for other currencies provided on StartUp Borneo.
- Do I need a PayPal account to create a project?
Yes, you have to fill in your PayPal registered email when you create your project. We will transfer the final funds to you via PayPal if your project is funded. So please make sure to enter an accurate and valid PayPal registered email account.
- What should I do if I don’t have any registered PayPal email account?
Please visit https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/country-worldwide to register your personal PayPal account. Should you have further question, please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
- What other basic information about my startup business/project do I need to provide, when I am creating my startup?
You need to select the category your startup business/project belongs to so that people can easily find it. Also, please state your project location, PayPal email account, as well as your startup business/project title etc.
- What content should I put on my startup business/project page?
The most important information about your startup business/project should be in the first paragraph, including who you are and what you are doing. Be engaging and genuine when you tell your story! It is very important that you can also include your project execution plan, budget and timeline, as these are all very important information to gain public support in the middle of your crowdfunding period. You may also refer to our Startup Handbook for more inspiration and insights.
- Do I have to upload photos for my startup?
Yes! Post #StartUpBorneo #Fund4Borneo and share on Instagram. Add character to your project through photos and videos. You must upload a project header image (optimum image size 1600×500 pixels), which will be displayed at the top of your project page. You also have to upload a project summary image, which will be displayed whenever your project appears throughout the site. We would also strongly encourage you to include additional photos or images that can be used to support your crowdfunding effort.
- Can I upload a video for my startup?
Of course! You can embed more than one video in your project, ideally between 30 seconds to 2 minutes long. Your video doesn’t need to be longer than 3 minutes; it is important that you are able to cover the objective behind your startup business/project, brief description of your plan, startup timeline and reward in your video. A long video is not necessarily a good one.
- If I am launching my crowdfunding startup business/project with other team members, where can I introduce my whole team in the project?
We strongly recommend any startup business/project creators to introduce themselves and their team members in their written content, as this adds credibility to your crowdfunding project. You may also include your social media contact detail under “Edit Settings”, which can be found in the drop-down menu of your profile picture at the top right hand side of the StartUp Borneo page.
- What are Rewards?
In return for contributions, project creators offer rewards to backers. Rewards can be a product or services after your project is launched and materialized, or even something unique about your project. Be creative! Remember rewards motivate backers to support your dream.
- How many rewards do I have to offer?
You have to offer a minimum of 1 reward tier, clearly list the backing amount and describe the rewards in detail. You may consider making your reward a limited edition to attract more early-bird purchase.
- Is it necessary to have a tangible product as part of the reward bundle?
Not necessarily. StartUp Borneo allows project creator to set up reward purely for donation purposes. Please note if such reward may still require backer’s address in order to send a charity tax exemption receipt to your backers.
- Why should I include reward photo?
Reward photo is a simple way to describe the reward that you are offering. This also provides an eye-catching appearance to your project attracting potential backers from the crowd.
- What is the Estimated Delivery Date in the reward section?
It is the date of which your backers should expect to receive your reward, if they have chosen to support and back your crowdfunding project (If there are further changes with this date, StartUp Borneo encourages project creator to contact their backers proactively to update these changes).
- Why should backers provide their delivery address, and how?
If your crowdfunding reward requires physical delivery, you need the backers’ delivery address while they are backing your project. Following the end of your crowdfunding period and the final verification of your crowdfunding transaction record by our external professional parties, StartUp Borneo will provide a consolidated report, including the backers’ detail and information, to the project creator.
- Will StartUp Borneo help me with delivering rewards?
No. All matters regarding fulfilment and delivery of rewards are solely between startup business/project creators and backers; StartUp Borneo shall play no role whatsoever unless otherwise stated. StartUp Borneo strongly recommends startup business/project creator to maintain a transparent communication with their project backers at all time throughout his/her crowdfunding period.
- What if I can’t deliver my rewards overseas?
If you cannot deliver your reward overseas (e.g. perishable goods), please offer an international reward that can be shipped so backers overseas can support you. Clearly list any additional international shipping fees when you are calculating the reward selling price.
- How do I contact StartUp Borneo for general enquiry?
If you have a general question about our platform, please feel free to email us at email@example.com. If you have any functional enquiry with regards to our crowdfunding process, you can also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. But please note it is the most straightforward to contact the project creators themselves if you have any question regarding a specific crowdfunding project.