To be part of the StartUp Borneo, please register your account. Click here to read our application requirement. Once you have registered, fill up your information and business profile and we will process your business profile.
StartUp Borneo’s mission is to help bring startups, entrepreneurs, innovative and creative projects to life
StartUp Borneo will create tools and resources that help people bring their startup and business projects to life, and that connect people around innovation and creative projects and the creative process.
StartUp Borneo will care for the health of its ecosystem and integrity of its systems.
StartUp Borneo will engage beyond its walls with the greater issues and conversations affecting startups, innovators, creators, and artists.
StartUp Borneo’s operations will reflect its values
StartUp Borneo will never sell user data to third parties. It will zealously defend the privacy rights and personal data of the people who use its service, including in its dealings with government entities.
StartUp Borneo will not lobby or campaign for public policies unless they align with its mission and values, regardless of possible economic benefits to the company.
StartUp Borneo will seek to limit environmental impact. It will invest in green infrastructure, support green commuting methods, and factor environmental impact when choosing vendors. Additionally, StartUp Borneo will provide recommendations and resources that help creators make environmentally conscious decisions on tasks, like shipping and packaging, that are common to the use of its services.
StartUp Borneo supports a more innovative, creative and equitable world
StartUp Borneo will annually donate 5% of its after-tax profit towards arts and music education, and to organizations fighting to end systemic inequality as further defined in sections 4(c) and 5(c) below (the “5% pledge”).
StartUp Borneo may invest in any of its startup to grow and build a sustainable startup ecosystem in Borneo.
StartUp Borneo is committed to science, innovation and arts
StartUp Borneo will always support, serve, and champion science talent and innovations, artists and creators, especially those working in less commercial areas.
StartUp Borneo will foster a supportive environment for startup communities to work on their own creative and innovative projects, including time off to pursue them.
Half of StartUp Borneo’s 5% pledge will be devoted to science, innovation, arts programs for children and young adults, with a primary focus on supporting underserved communities in Sarawak. Funds will be distributed to non-governmental and non-profit organizations, public schools, or via programs developed by StartUp Borneo.
StartUp Borneo is committed to fighting inequality
StartUp Borneo will provide opportunities and paid time off for startup communities to provide professional mentorship and skills training to people from groups underrepresented in the worlds of art, business, or technology.
StartUp Borneo will report on team and leadership demographics, and programs and strategies employed to build a diverse, inclusive, and equitable organization.
Half of StartUp Borneo’s 5% pledge will be devoted to organizations addressing systemic inequality. StartUp Borneo will primarily focus such contributions on non-governmental and non-profit organizations especially in fighting to end prejudices against and increase opportunities for people of color, religion, women.
Many people use StartUp Borneo. We expect all of them to behave responsibly and help keep this a nice place. Don’t do any of these things on the Site:
- Don’t break the law. Don’t take any action that infringes or violates other people’s rights, violates the law, or breaches any contract or legal duty you have toward anyone.
- Don’t lie to people. Don’t post information you know is false, misleading, or inaccurate. Don’t do anything deceptive or fraudulent.
- Don’t offer prohibited items. Don’t offer any rewards that are illegal, violate any of StartUp Borneo’s policies, rules, or guidelines, or violate any applicable law, statute, ordinance, or regulation.
- Don’t victimize anyone. Don’t do anything threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, tortious, obscene, profane, or invasive of another person’s privacy.
- Don’t spam. Don’t distribute unsolicited or unauthorized advertising or promotional material, or any junk mail, spam, or chain letters. Don’t run mail lists, listservs, or any kind of auto-responder or spam on or through the Site.
- Don’t harm anyone’s computer. Don’t distribute software viruses, or anything else (code, films, programs) designed to interfere with the proper function of any software, hardware, or equipment on the Site (whether it belongs to StartUp Borneo or another party).
- Don’t abuse other users’ personal information. When you use StartUp Borneo — and especially if you create a successful project — you may receive information about other users, including things like their names, email addresses, and postal addresses. This information is provided for the purpose of participating in a StartUp Borneo project: don’t use it for other purposes, and don’t abuse it.
We also need to make sure that the Site is secure and our systems function properly. So don’t do any of these things — most of which boil down to “don’t mess with our system.”
- Don’t try to interfere with the proper workings of the Services.
- Don’t bypass any measures we’ve put in place to secure the Services.
- Don’t try to damage or get unauthorized access to any system, data, password, or other information, whether it belongs to StartUp Borneo or another party.
- Don’t take any action that imposes an unreasonable load on our infrastructure, or on our third-party providers. (We reserve the right to determine what’s reasonable.)
- Don’t use any kind of software or device (whether it’s manual or automated) to “crawl” or “spider” any part of the Site.
- Don’t take apart or reverse engineer any aspect of StartUp Borneo in an effort to access things like source code, underlying ideas, or algorithms.
- We’ve updated the Policy to reflect changes in data privacy laws.
- We’ve added details about your ability to manage the information you share with us, and the new tools we’ve created to help you do that.
This updated Policy gives you more control over your information and more clearly explains how we use it. Our core commitments regarding your privacy haven’t changed, including the commitment in our Charter to never sell your data.
Changes to This Policy
We may update this Policy from time to time. If we do, we’ll let you know about any material changes, either by notifying you on the Site or by sending you an email. New versions of this Policy will never apply retroactively — we’ll tell you the exact date they go into effect. If you keep using StartUp Borneo after a change, that means you accept this Policy.
Who We Are
StartUp Borneo (together with RESONICS Global Sdn Bhd, RESONICS Consultancy, and its and their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, representatives, consultants, employees, officers, and directors — collectively, “StartUp Borneo,” “we,” or “us”) provides services that help people bring innovative startups together and creative projects to life. Our main service is a community platform for startups and as a lunchpad offering funding opportunity for innovative and creative projects. We are a Community Driven Organization based in Kuching, Sarawak.
How This Policy Applies
What We Collect and Receive
In order for you to create an account on StartUp Borneo and use our Services, we need to collect and process certain information. Depending on your use of the Services, that may include:
- Information you provide by completing forms on StartUp Borneo — your name, email and postal addresses, telephone number, country of residence, login, and password details. We may ask for this information if you register as a user of the Services, subscribe to our newsletters, upload or submit content through StartUp Borneo, or if you contact us;
- Information you provide for identity verification purposes when launching a startup business/project, including your legal name, business name and Tax ID for business entities, and date of birth. In some cases, our payment processor will request that you provide a secure upload of an identity document (such as your passport, drivers license or other government-issued ID) to StartUp Borneo;
- Details of any requests or transactions you make through the Services. StartUp Borneo partners with other companies (such as PayPal) for payment processing, and the payment information you submit is collected and used by them in accordance with their privacy policies (for PayPal’s, click here). StartUp Borneo doesn’t store your payment information apart from the last four digits of your credit card or bank account (as applicable), expiration date, and country, which we require for tax, government regulatory, and security purposes;
- Information about your activity on and interaction with StartUp Borneo, including use of our mobile apps (such as your IP address, the type of device or browser you use, and your actions on the Site);
- Communications you send to us (for example, when you ask for support, send us questions or comments, or report a problem);
- Information that you submit on or to StartUp Borneo in the form of comments, contributions to discussions, or messages to other users; and
- The email address associated with your Facebook account, if you choose to sign up using your Facebook credentials. StartUp Borneo will also request permission to access your name, profile picture, and friend list (these permissions are governed by Facebook’s privacy policies and can be managed through your Facebook privacy settings). We never post anything to your Facebook, Twitter, or other third-party accounts without your permission.
You may decline to provide us with your information. However, this will limit your ability to register for an account or use our Services. You may pledge to a project as a guest by providing only an email address. However, to adjust your pledge, save payment details for future pledges, make project comments and take most other actions on our Site, you will need to finish creating an account. You may review, change or remove your information through your account settings.
How We Use This Information
We use the information we collect for the following purposes:
- To keep your account secure and protect our Services (including to verify the identities of creators and prevent fraud and abuse);
- To enable us to provide you with our Services, and to improve and promote our Services;
- To create and administer your account, contact you, and customize your experience on StartUp Borneo (for example, to show you projects that we think may interest you based on your previous use); and
- To track and analyze use of the Services so that we can improve how StartUp Borneo is performing and provide users with the best experience possible.
Users Personal Data
Data protection law requires a “lawful basis” for collecting and retaining personal information. Our lawful bases include:
- Performing the contract we have with you: In certain circumstances, we need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligation to deliver the Services, enable creators to establish and display their projects, and enable backers to find and make pledges to them.
- Legal compliance: Sometimes the law says we need to collect and use your data. For example, tax laws require us to retain records of pledges and payments made through our Services.
- Legitimate interests: This is a technical term in data protection law which essentially means we have a good and fair reason to use your data and we do so in ways which do not hurt your interests and rights. We sometimes require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way that might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and that does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests.
For example, we use identity, device, and location information to prevent fraud and abuse and to keep the Services secure. We may also send you promotional communications about our Services, subject to your right to control whether we do so.
We analyze how users interact with our Site so we can understand better what elements of the design are working well and which are not working so well. This allows us to improve and develop the quality of the online experience we offer all our users.
Transfer of Your Personal Data
Personal data collected by us will be kept confidential but we may provide such information to third parties when required to do so by applicable law, including but not limited to, a court order or enforcement agency. We may also transfer your personal data to the following third parties where such transfer or disclosure is necessary to satisfy any of the purposes set out above or a directly related purpose:
- Our staff;
- Any person or company who is acting for us or on our behalf in respect of the purpose set out above or a directly related purpose;
- Our agents or professional advisers (whether ours or our agents’), including accountants, auditors and lawyers;
- Any financial institutions, credit card issuing companies, payment service providers necessary to support payments in relation to your project or backing;
- External service providers (including but not limited to telecommunication companies, information technology companies) that we engage for the purpose set out above or a directly related purpose; and
- Government and regulatory authorities and law enforcement agencies and other organizations as required or authorized by applicable law.
Transfer of Your Personal Data Outside Malaysia
By using our service, you agree that we may transfer certain personal data to places outside Malaysia in order to carry out the purposes set out above or a directly related purpose
How This Information Is Shared
Information that’s shared publicly
When you create an account, we create a basic profile page for you on StartUp Borneo, containing your username, the date the account was created, and a list of projects you have backed or launched. By default, your profile is private and you can choose to make it public in your account settings. Your username appears with the comments you post and messages you send on StartUp Borneo and, if your profile is set to public, people can click your username to view it. If you make your profile public, others will be able to see the following things:
- The account username you select, and the date the account was created;
- Any information you choose to add to your profile (like a picture, bio, or your location);
- Projects you’ve backed (but not pledge amounts or rewards chosen);
- Projects you’ve created;
- Comments you’ve posted on StartUp Borneo; and
- If you have “Liked” a project update.
If you would like to have a public profile, but don’t want others to see your name or profile image on a project’s Community tab, you may choose an account image or name that is not identifiable (e.g., CatLuvr88). You can modify or delete certain information associated with your account (such as your username, profile image, biography and location) from your account settings, and you can change your privacy settings if you want to make your profile private or adjust the default settings.
Creators are also asked to verify their identities before launching a project. Once this has been done, the creator’s Verified Name will be publicly displayed on their account profile and on any projects they launch.
Information that isn’t shared publicly
The following data will not be publicly displayed or revealed to other users:
- Any payment information you provide;
- Your password details;
- Your IP address;
- Your phone number;
- Your date of birth and other identity verification documentation (for creators);
- Private profile information, in accordance with your preferences; and
- Communications you send to us (for example, when you ask for support, send us questions or comments, or report a problem).
Information that’s shared with trusted third-party services
We may share your information with certain trusted third-party services to help us provide, improve, promote, or protect StartUp Borneo’s Services (like when we partner with payment processors, or use services that help us manage our ads on other sites). When we share data with third-party services that support our delivery of the StartUp Borneo Services, we require that they use your information only for the purposes we’ve authorized, and that they protect your personal information at least to the same standards we do. We may also share information that’s aggregated and anonymized in a way that it doesn’t directly identify you.
Information that’s shared with creators and collaborators
When you back a project, the project’s creator will know your username, the amount you have pledged, and the reward you have selected. Creators never receive backers’ credit card details or other payment information.
If a project you have backed is successfully funded, the creator will receive the email address associated with your StartUp Borneo account. They may also send you a survey requesting information needed to provide your reward. (For instance, they may need your mailing address, or T-shirt size.) Any information you provide in such surveys will be received by the creator.
Creators are required to keep backer information confidential, except as strictly necessary to communicate with backers directly and fulfill rewards. Creators should not ask for personal information that isn’t necessary to provide your reward, and should never request sensitive personal information such as your Social Security number or payment information. Contact us at email@example.com if you receive a request for information that seems inappropriate or excessive.
Collaborators are third parties that creators can appoint to help manage their project. These collaborators may be able to access the information available to creators (including backers’ names, email addresses, pledge amounts, reward selections, messages, and survey responses), and are required to treat backers’ personal information with the same care and respect as creators are.
Creators and their collaborators may also receive routine traffic analytics about their project pages.
Information that’s shared to protect StartUp Borneo and comply with the law
We do reserve the right to disclose personal information when we believe that doing so is reasonably necessary to comply with the law or law enforcement, to prevent fraud or abuse, or to protect StartUp Borneo’s legal rights, property, or the safety of StartUp Borneo, its employees, users, or others.
Links to other websites and services
We will retain your information as long as your account is active, as necessary to provide you with the Services or as otherwise set forth in this Policy. We will also retain and use this information as necessary for the purposes set out in this Policy and to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements and protect StartUp Borneo’s legal rights.
We also collect and maintain aggregated, anonymized or pseudonymized information which we may retain indefinitely to protect the safety and security of our Site, improve our Services or comply with legal obligations.
Users residing in certain countries are afforded certain rights regarding their personal information. Except where an exception or exemption applies, these rights include the ability to access, correct, and request deletion of your personal information. While these rights are not applicable globally, all StartUp Borneo users can manage their personal information, as further described below, in their account settings.
You can request a downloadable copy of your personal data from StartUp Borneo from your account settings page. To modify or delete the personal information you’ve provided to us, please log in and update your profile. You may also delete your account from your account settings page. We may retain certain information as required by law or as necessary for our legitimate business purposes.
Email and Mobile Notifications
We want to communicate with you only if you want to hear from us. We try to keep emails to a minimum and give you the ability to opt in to any marketing communications we send.
We will send you email relating to your transactions on StartUp Borneo.
We’ll also send you service-related announcements when it’s necessary to do so.
We take security seriously, and the security of your personal data is important to us. We follow industry-standard practices to protect the data we collect and maintain, including using Transport Layer Security (TLS) to encrypt information as it travels over the internet. No method of transmission over the internet or electronic storage is completely secure, so StartUp Borneo cannot guarantee its absolute security. Your account information is protected by a password, which you should choose carefully and keep secure.
We have a Security Incident Response Team (SIRT) and protocol in place in the event of a data breach. We encourage the responsible disclosure of vulnerabilities of our Services by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will invite valid disclosures to our bug bounty program.
Data Protection Officer
To contact our Data Protection Officer, please email email@example.com.
You can contact us in writing at:
1st Floor, Parcel 1.1E, Lot 3338,
Block A, The Laksamana Commercial Suites,
93350 Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.
Data Protection Authority
Subject to applicable law, StartUp Borneo is committed to protecting the privacy, confidentiality and security of the personal data which we hold by complying with the requirements of Act 709 Personal Data Protection Act 2010 (Laws of Malaysia) (the “Law”) with respect to the management of personal data.
People under 18 (or the legal age in your jurisdiction) are not permitted to use StartUp Borneo on their own. StartUp Borneo does not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 13 and children under 13 are not permitted to register for an account or use our Services.
If you believe that a child has provided us with personal information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If we become aware that a child under age 13 has provided us with personally identifiable information, we’ll delete it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Create Your Startup Project/Business
- What is StartUp Borneo and #Fund4Borneo reward-based crowdfunding?
StartUp Borneo is a community for startups and a launchpad platform that provides funding opportunity through reward-based crowdfunding or #Fund4Borneo. Reward-based crowdfunding is when users choose to support and financially back their preferred and chosen project idea, and in return they will receive a tangible product or service from the owner of such project after it has been materialized. Backers tend to choose the product or service prior to making any financial backing; the price of the reward will be the financial amount that the backer is willing to support the aforementioned project idea.
- What is accepted to join StartUp Borneo and crowdfund at #Fund4Borneo?
- Do I need to register my startup as a business before I can crowdfund?
No, you are not obliged to do so. You may create a crowdfunding project under your personal name or organization.
- Can I startup a business/project from anywhere in the world?
Yes, but it is your responsibility to ensure that your startup meet our requirements and complies with all relevant laws and regulations in Malaysia.
- Can I list my startup business/project on another crowdfunding platform at the same time?
No, you may not list the exact same project on another crowdfunding platform at the same time.
- What should I name my startup business/project?
People should be able to understand what your startup business/project is about from the title. Also, use a snappy tagline to capture potential backers’ attention.
- How much does it cost to create a startup business/project?
You only have to pay a fee if your project reaches its minimum funding target. For projects that reach their minimum funding target, StartUp Borneo charges a 10% service fee on the total amount raised. If you reach the full funding target, StartUp Borneo charges a 5% service fee on the total amount raised. In addition, the payment gateway charges a separate payment processing fee (average 5%) and depending on the origin of the supporting amount, the payment gateway fee may vary. For startups related to international transaction such as Indonesian Rp or Singaporean $, please visit PayPal’s fee page at https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/country-worldwide for other currencies provided on StartUp Borneo.
- Do I need a PayPal account to create a project?
Yes, you have to fill in your PayPal registered email when you create your project. We will transfer the final funds to you via PayPal if your project is funded. So please make sure to enter an accurate and valid PayPal registered email account.
- What should I do if I don’t have any registered PayPal email account?
Please visit https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/country-worldwide to register your personal PayPal account. Should you have further question, please feel free to contact email@example.com for further details.
- What other basic information about my startup business/project do I need to provide, when I am creating my startup?
You need to select the category your startup business/project belongs to so that people can easily find it. Also, please state your project location, PayPal email account, as well as your startup business/project title etc.
- What content should I put on my startup business/project page?
The most important information about your startup business/project should be in the first paragraph, including who you are and what you are doing. Be engaging and genuine when you tell your story! It is very important that you can also include your project execution plan, budget and timeline, as these are all very important information to gain public support in the middle of your crowdfunding period. You may also refer to our Startup Handbook for more inspiration and insights.
- Do I have to upload photos for my startup?
Yes! Post #StartUpBorneo #Fund4Borneo and share on Instagram. Add character to your project through photos and videos. You must upload a project header image (optimum image size 1600×500 pixels), which will be displayed at the top of your project page. You also have to upload a project summary image, which will be displayed whenever your project appears throughout the site. We would also strongly encourage you to include additional photos or images that can be used to support your crowdfunding effort.
- Can I upload a video for my startup?
Of course! You can embed more than one video in your project, ideally between 30 seconds to 2 minutes long. Your video doesn’t need to be longer than 3 minutes; it is important that you are able to cover the objective behind your startup business/project, brief description of your plan, startup timeline and reward in your video. A long video is not necessarily a good one.
- If I am launching my crowdfunding startup business/project with other team members, where can I introduce my whole team in the project?
We strongly recommend any startup business/project creators to introduce themselves and their team members in their written content, as this adds credibility to your crowdfunding project. You may also include your social media contact detail under “Edit Settings”, which can be found in the drop-down menu of your profile picture at the top right hand side of the StartUp Borneo page.
- What are Rewards?
In return for contributions, project creators offer rewards to backers. Rewards can be a product or services after your project is launched and materialized, or even something unique about your project. Be creative! Remember rewards motivate backers to support your dream.
- How many rewards do I have to offer?
You have to offer a minimum of 1 reward tier, clearly list the backing amount and describe the rewards in detail. You may consider making your reward a limited edition to attract more early-bird purchase.
- Is it necessary to have a tangible product as part of the reward bundle?
Not necessarily. StartUp Borneo allows project creator to set up reward purely for donation purposes. Please note if such reward may still require backer’s address in order to send a charity tax exemption receipt to your backers.
- Why should I include reward photo?
Reward photo is a simple way to describe the reward that you are offering. This also provides an eye-catching appearance to your project attracting potential backers from the crowd.
- What is the Estimated Delivery Date in the reward section?
It is the date of which your backers should expect to receive your reward, if they have chosen to support and back your crowdfunding project (If there are further changes with this date, StartUp Borneo encourages project creator to contact their backers proactively to update these changes).
- Why should backers provide their delivery address, and how?
If your crowdfunding reward requires physical delivery, you need the backers’ delivery address while they are backing your project. Following the end of your crowdfunding period and the final verification of your crowdfunding transaction record by our external professional parties, StartUp Borneo will provide a consolidated report, including the backers’ detail and information, to the project creator.
- Will StartUp Borneo help me with delivering rewards?
No. All matters regarding fulfilment and delivery of rewards are solely between startup business/project creators and backers; StartUp Borneo shall play no role whatsoever unless otherwise stated. StartUp Borneo strongly recommends startup business/project creator to maintain a transparent communication with their project backers at all time throughout his/her crowdfunding period.
- What if I can’t deliver my rewards overseas?
If you cannot deliver your reward overseas (e.g. perishable goods), please offer an international reward that can be shipped so backers overseas can support you. Clearly list any additional international shipping fees when you are calculating the reward selling price.
- How do I contact StartUp Borneo for general enquiry?
If you have a general question about our platform, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any functional enquiry with regards to our crowdfunding process, you can also contact us at email@example.com. But please note it is the most straightforward to contact the project creators themselves if you have any question regarding a specific crowdfunding project.